Mental Health Australia is asking parties and candidates in the 2019 Election to signal their commitment to a range of aims and actions critical to the success of mental health reform in Australia. As such, and in line with our 2019 Election platform, Mental Health Australia is looking for all parties to publish their policy positions and intent around the following issues:
• Permanently embedding arrangements for ongoing, active involvement of consumers and carers in all areas of policy and oversight
• Providing community-based assertive outreach to people who have attempted suicide
• Expanding community-based psychosocial support programs
• Expanding the capacity of the NDIA to support psychosocial disability
• Expanding the paid peer workforce
• Cognitive based therapy and other interventions for children and young people
• Increase uptake of e-mental health early intervention services, and
• Work with employers to improve workplace mental health and wellbeing
Mental Health Australia’s Election Report Card
Our Election Report Card provides a summary of the responses as well as list of further general mental health announcements made during the campaign. Click here for the 2019 Election Report Card.
Letters to Leaders
See PDFS below.
Mental health policy announcements
The Australian Liberal Party
Australian Labor Party
The Australian Greens
Health Minister Greg Hunt and Shadow Health Minister Catherine King took part in a Health Policy Debate at the Press Club: https://iview.abc.net.au/show/national-press-club-address
What can you do to help?
- Contact party leaders and/or candidates in your local area and call on them to sign up to our five long term measures.
- Circulate our report card to help keep pressure on all parties
- Help promote the campaign via social media using the hashtags #mentalhealth #Election2016
Download our information pack via the link below to access a range of resources to help with promotion.
|2019 Election Platform - Mental Health Australia||1.18 MB|
|2019 Election Asks - Mental Health Australia||163.15 KB|
|Greens 2019 Policy Platform - Youth Mental Health||691.79 KB|
|Letter to Bill Shorten||56.11 KB|
|Letter to Scott Morrison||54.49 KB|
|Letter to Richard Di Natale||60.56 KB|